Nature-based holidays in the Snowy Mountains
The NSW Snowy Mountains region is mainland Australia’s only true alpine wilderness, home to Mt Kosciuszko, the continent’s five highest peaks and its only glacial lakes. Australia’s ultimate alpine experience and snow sports playground offers a long list of year-round activities.
- Wednesday 1 January 2014 Tumbarumba 2013 Rodeo
*** Latest event details areggg
- Sunday 5 January 2014 Snowy River Aviators Inc
- Friday 17 January 2014 Childrens Fishing Workshop Jindabyne
- Friday 6 December to Sunday 8 December Mountain Bike Weekend
Perfect your Mountain Bike Skillsggg
- Saturday 7 December to Sunday 8 December Rosewood Roughstock Rodeo and Team Penning
- Sunday 15 December Cooma Rotary Markets
About the Snowy Mountains
Summer in the Snowy Mountains
Summer is a great time to escape the heat and head to the Snowy Mountains. You’ll find a kaleidoscope of colour, Australia’s highest point and the breath-taking alpine scenery of this region. It’s also one of the best places in the State to go hiking, mountain biking, trout fishing or horse-riding with easy access to facilities – and in the pristine environment of Kosciuszko National Park.
Try hiking in Kosciuszko National Park. With glacial lakes, alpine meadows, snow gum forests and Mt Kosciuszko itself, hiking here is truly inspiring. The hike to the summit of Mt Kosciuszko is regarded as one of Australia’s best one-day walks. Start from the top of the chairlift at Thredbo or from Charlotte Pass.
Head out on a guided walk in the main range or explore the historic villages on foot. Take the early pioneering history and river walk through Dalgety, try part of the 12-km, day walk along the Hume and Hovell Track to Tumbarumba Creek, or stroll along the 2-km Tumut River walk past the pretty Riverglade Wetlands.
Mountain bike enthusiasts can get involved in one of the summer cycling events or hurtle down the challenging Thredbo Downhill. More leisurely trails are plentiful with tracks around Thredbo village, Perisher, Lake Jindabyne, Lake Eucumbene, Tumut, Cooma and Tumbarumba.
High country horse riding is also a thrill both for beginners and experienced riders. Riding locations include near Cooma, in Thredbo Valley or amongst the snow gums in Kosciuszko National Park. Guided horse treks are also popular for day trips, overnight or longer.
Summer is a great time, of course, for water sports. There are lakes and streams, dams and resort pools where the family can enjoy their favourite water activities. At Lake Jindabyne, take the kids kayaking, sailing, canoeing, swimming and boating or head to Thredbo’s indoor pool and giant waterslide. Throw a line into the crystal clear waters of a lake or quiet stream and discover the fun of fishing in a pristine environment.
- Bombala Area Renowned for its inhabitants, the trout and platypus, on the Monaro Plains....
- Cooma Area The largest town in the Snowy Mountains is also the gateway to the State's alpine area....
- Jindabyne Area An adventure base camp for the Snowy Mountains, famous for its trout fishing and water sports....
- Kosciuszko National Park Alpine snow resorts and Mount Kosciuszko, Australia's highest peak, can be found here....
- Tumbarumba Area At the foothills of the Snowy Mountains, the area around Tumbarumba is a pristine wilderness....
- Tumut Area The natural beauty of Tumut, heritage of Adelong, serenity of Talbingo, and taste of Batlow’s apples...