Tumut is a great place to visit to experience its colourful autumn landscapes, thermal pool and limestone caves.
About Tumut area
At the northern gateway to the Snowy Mountains, the Tumut region is rich in natural beauty, offering fresh adventure experiences and stunning landscapes that change with the seasons. Go touring and you'll be refreshed by the natural beauty of Tumut, the historic streetscape of Adelong, the inspiring scenery around Talbingo and the sweet, crisp flavour of an apple from Batlow. Tumut itself is one of the main towns at the centre of the Snowy Mountains Hydro-Electric Scheme, in the Tumut River Valley.
If golf is your game you'll enjoy teeing off at a lakeside or mountain golf course, where you might have to keep an eye out for kangaroos on the greens. About 80 km from Tumut are the beautiful Yarrangobilly Caves, and a nearby thermal pool that's perfect for a winter dip.
- There are no events listed
Detail of ruins at Adelong Falls. Image Don Fuchs
Blowering reservoir, Kosciuszko National Park. Image Mike Newling
Gold mill ruins at Adelong Falls. Image Chris Russell for Tumut Shire Council
Orchards at Batlow with view to Kosciuszko National Park. Image Tumut Shire Council
Kosciuszko National Park, Snowy Mountains. Image Jeffrey Drewitz
Sugarpine Walk in Winter at Laurel Hill, near Batlow. Image Tumut Shire Council
View of Talbingo township. Image Tumut Region Visitor Centre
Talbingo power station pipelines. Image Tumut Region Visitor Centre
View over Jounama Pondage, Talbingo. Image Tumut Region Visitor Centre
Tumut Dam in Autumn. Image Paul Sinclair
Yarrangobilly Caves, located between Tumut and Cooma, Alpine Way. Image Don Fuchs
Flyfishing on the Tumut River with Nimbo Fork Lodge. Image Mark Pokorny
- Adelong Find peace and quiet, a bit of gold-rush history and a heritage-listed main street in Adelong in the Snowy M
- Batlow Famous for its orchards, Batlow is a great place to stock up on your stone fruit, berries, pears, apples and
- Talbingo Talbingo is surrounded by some of the most inspiring scenery in the Snowy Mountains.
- Tumut Tumut is a country town on the northern foothills of the Snowy Mountains.