Originally built on the Ulladulla Breakwater in 1873, the light was shifted to Warden Head in 1879. It is one of only two towers in New South Wales made from wrought iron plates, making it a rarity.
In 1920, the original oil lamp was replaced with a flashing light powered by acetylene gas for automatic operation, and the station was unmanned. The next conversion was to electricity in 1964. The light is now battery operated and float charged from 240 volt mains supply.
The current road out to Warden's Head and car park was developed by the Ulladulla Council in the 1940s to encourage visitors to the lighthouse.