Riddiford Arboretum - Broken Hill
The Riddiford Arboretum features trees and shrubs of the region and is located opposite the Centro shopping centre. It was set up in 1988 on land that was a repair and oil transfer depot for the Silverton Tramway.
It is named after Walter Riddiford, mayor of Broken Hill from 1949 to 1962. But it is also a tribute to Albert Morris, a self-taught botanist who was responsible for establishing the regeneration reserves around the city. The plants in those reserves hold down the local dust and greatly reduced the previously horrible effects of the dust storms that turned day into night.