Inverell and District Bicentennial Memorial
The Bicentennial memorial exemplifies the community spirit of the individuals and organisations who freely gave their time, technical skills, labour and much of the material to create a permanent memorial depicting the history and progressive development of the Inverell district prior to 1988.
It features three courtyards each containing 14 sculptured bas relief panels, with a central connecting courtyard.
Courtyard one depicts pre 1788, when the Inverell District was home to the Anaiwan, Bigambul, Jukambal, Kwiambal and Weraerai people.
Courtyard two spans 1788-1888, the first century of white occupation in Australia, and in particular the settlement and development of the Inverell District.
Courtyard three depicts the social and technological changes which occurred from 1888 to 1988, including the use of the resources of the district, and the growth of the town.
A tile mosaic map depicting Alan Cunningham's travels through the area is at the centre of the memorial.
Wander around the Inverell and District Bicentennial Memorial at your leisure, and take in the history of the Inverell District prior to 1988.