Wollongong & Surrounds
- Sunday 9 February 2014 Harmony Day
Harmony Day brings together variousggg
- Wednesday 12 February to Saturday 22 February 2014 The Man Who Dreamt the Stars
- Sunday 16 February 2014 The Hollies
The coastal escarpment and a ribbon of beautiful beaches around Wollongong and nearby towns make it a perfect destination for outdoor adventures. Small coastal villages such as Austinmer, Stanwell Park and Thirroul have excellent surfing beaches while Lake Illawarra offers a choice of sailing, water skiing, canoeing and fishing.
Other interesting towns to visit are Bulli, a former coal-mining town on the coast that recaptures the charm of the 19th century in its architecture, and Helensburgh, a great base from which to explore the Royal National Park.
Things to do in the Wollongong area range from the energetic to the leisurely. Ride a bike along one of the area’s purpose-built tracks or walk around Mt Keira on a 5.5-km trail that passes through rainforest and eucalypt forest. If you’re feeling adventurous, sky dive onto the beach, the State’s only beach skydive. Other activities include a walk across Sea Cliff Bridge, a dip in Austinmer’s ocean pool or the panoramic view from Bald Hill Lookout at Stanwell Tops.
For the next few months, Wollongong has a series of exciting events that offer plenty of action for people of all ages. Diverse sporting events include the Port Kembla Billycart Derby which is a heart-thumping ride on a soapbox down a steep main street, cheered on by your friends and family. The MS Sydney to the Gong bike ride and the Australian Beach Soccer Cup are major events that take full advantage of Wollongong’s coastal location.
There is also plenty of other entertainment on offer with Viva La Gong Wollongong’s annual arts festival. And for a change of pace, relax with a film at the Sunset Cinema or the Illawarra folk Festival which contains four exciting summer days of folk, world, roots, bluegrass, gypsy and Celtic music, as well as poetry, comedy and dance.
View all Wollongong Events
- Bulli Find out about Bulli, things to do, arts, culture, heritage and lifestyle, accommodation and what's on...
- Stanwell Park Stanwell Park is a small coastal town with a glorious surf beach. It's set dramatically against the steep...
- Thirroul Find out about Thirroul, things to do, beaches, accommodation and what's on...
- Wollongong Wollongong is located just one hour's drive south of Sydney on the South Coast. VisitNSW.com lists things...