Wollongong & Surrounds
There are plenty of opportunities for adventure activities in and around Wollongong ranging from surfing and swimming to sailing, hang gliding, paragliding, cycling and abseiling. Wollongong is the only place in NSW where you can sky dive onto the beach.
- Monday 1 July to Friday 5 July Winter Tales
Celebrate the trees that shine
- Tuesday 2 July to Tuesday 1 October Ratatouille Ratbagz
- Friday 12 July Something With Numbers + Guests
The coastal escarpment and a ribbon of beautiful beaches around Wollongong and nearby towns make it a perfect destination for outdoor adventures. Small coastal villages such as Austinmer, Stanwell Park and Thirroul have excellent surfing beaches while Lake Illawarra offers a choice of sailing, water skiing, canoeing and fishing.
Other interesting towns to visit are Bulli, a former coal-mining town on the coast that recaptures the charm of the 19th century in its architecture, and Helensburgh, a great base from which to explore the Royal National Park.
Things to do in the Wollongong area range from the energetic to the leisurely. Ride a bike along one of the area’s purpose-built tracks or walk around Mt Keira on a 5.5-km trail that passes through rainforest and eucalypt forest. If you’re feeling adventurous, sky dive onto the beach, the State’s only beach skydive. Other activities include a walk across Sea Cliff Bridge, a dip in Austinmer’s ocean pool or the panoramic view from Bald Hill Lookout at Stanwell Tops.
For the next few months, Wollongong is taking advantage of its many natural attractions and excellent sports facilities to offer a series of exciting events. From December to January, you’ll be able to enjoy diverse sporting events such as beach soccer and cricket to cycling, surfing, surf rowing and basketball. Don’t miss the NSW Cycling Grand Prix and Wave Warriors, both before Christmas. Mid-January, the 28th Illawarra Folk Festival kicks off at Bulli.
View all Wollongong Events
- Bulli Find out about Bulli, things to do, arts, culture, heritage and lifestyle, accommodation and what's on...
- Stanwell Park Stanwell Park is a small coastal town with a glorious surf beach. It's set dramatically against the steep...
- Thirroul Find out about Thirroul, things to do, beaches, accommodation and what's on...
- Wollongong Wollongong is a vibrant, cosmopolitan city. It's set between the coast and the green hills of the escarpm...