Lighting the way for over 100 years, you get a beautiful view from the grassland that surrounds the Yamba lighthouse. A perfect spot for a picnic after a day at the beach or for gobbling down some local fish and chips, a spot of whale watching when in season, and watching the full moon rise.
Stories about the first lighthouse seem to vary a little but it seems that there was first a rudimentary structure of a platform with a kerosene lamp on it on the most easterly part of Pilot Hill.
This was replaced in 1866 by a small wooden humpy whose shutters were opened each night to dispense the rays of a large kerosene lamp placed on a bench. It was in the same place as the first and next to the flagstaff.
Tenders were called in 1878 and a permanent light was built in 1880 by W. Kinnear at a cost of 1,097 pounds.
LocationOpen in maps
Caters for people who use a wheelchair.
Caters for people who are deaf or have hearing loss