Light Horse Memorial
The Light Horse Memorial commemorates the birthplace of the First Australian Light Horse at Murrumburrah in 1897.
Bronze sculptures of Corporal William Bradford of the First Australian Light Horse, the 'Retreat at Romani' with horse, 'Bill the Bastard' carrying five men, and a diorama of Beersheba by Murrumburrah sculptor Carl Valerius, granite blocks, nearby is a wall of remembrance , number of commemorative plaques are set in a garden near Murrimboola Creek.
On August 30 1897, the very first call up muster and enrolments to the First Australian Horse took place at Harden-Murrumburrah. Advertisements in local papers inviting men to join. Of the competent riders and had to provide their own horses.
A bronze, life-size sculpture of Major-General, the Honourable James Alexander Kenneth Mackay CB, OBE, VD, FRGS was officially unveiled at the Light Horse Memorial in Murrumburrah on Saturday, August 31 2019.
This sculpture is designed to commemorate the actions of Major-General Kenneth Mackay in the creation of the First Australian Light Horse troop.
The story of Major General Kenneth Mackay and the First Australian Horse in 1897, a cavalry regiment recruited entirely from country districts in the NSW .
Mackay's political leadership, strategic vision and military expertise are all central to the success of the First Australian Horse.