The Kiama Lighthouse was established in 1887, 10 years after the creation of the Robertson Basin, a man made harbour to service Kiama's supply of crushed blue metal and paving blocks for the streets of Sydney.
The original apparatus was an oil burner with a catadioptric fixed lens producing a light that was visible for nine miles. This was upgraded to the local town coal gas in 1908 with an intensity of 1,500 candelas and a range of fifteen miles. This was further upgraded to acetylene gas and group flashing in 1920. At this point the light was de-manned. In 1969 the light was converted to 240-volt mains electricity. Kiama Lighthouse is located in Kiama on Blowhole Point.
The principal Keeper's House was destroyed by vandals in the 1920s. The single storey assistant Keeper's House, used for many years as a residence for harbour pilots, is now a museum.