The Historic Barwon Bridge
The Brewarrina Barwon Bridge is one of only two remaining lift span bridges in NSW that allowed traffic to cross over the Barwon River. It lifted in the centre and allowed paddle steamers to continue up and down the river.
The Bridge was a technically sophisticated structure when built in 1889 and required two men to wind a pulley mechanism to lift the spans – this was later modified in 1913 so that only one person was required to operate it.
The bridge is recognised as being of NSW State significance as it contributed significantly to the social and commercial development of north western New South Wales and opened up the ‘back country’ in the late 1800’s.
Sunset photography can be quite incredible from the free camping area beside the river.