Arts, culture and heritage in Wentworth
Significant Aboriginal heritage sites are among the most spectacular in the country. The dazzling red dunes of Perry Sandhills in Wentworth date back to the Ice Age and have revealed animal bones from ancient times. Further inland, the remains of Mungo Woman and Mungo Man were discovered in Mungo National Park. Mungo’s lunar landscape and Walls of China hills are arguably the most striking natural formations in NSW.
- Monday 20 January to Friday 31 January 2014 Murray River International Music Festival
Each year Sergio de Pieriggg
- Wednesday 22 January 2014 Concert at the Wenworth Town Hall
- Saturday 21 December PS Ruby - Basic River Cruise
The first of two cruisesggg
- Saturday 21 December PS Ruby - Champagne Christmas Cruise
Situated at the confluence of Australia’s two greatest rivers, the Darling and the Murray in Outback NSW, Wentworth is a good launching pad for fun on the water. Luxury houseboats, paddle steamers and canoes are popular options, or you can watch the action from a riverside restaurant or winery.
Food and wine are big drawcards in the region, and you can sample the local produce at several award-winning venues.
For holiday planners looking for something different to do, plan a visit to Wentworth in July 2016 for the Wentworth Tractor Rally – it takes place every five years to commemorate the role of the humble tractor in saving the town of Wentworth and many other communities along the Murray River during the 1956 floods.
When making your travel plans to the area, don’t forget to add Mildura, Pooncarie and Dareton to your itinerary. These towns have their own unique offerings, including Orange World and the Coomealla Memorial Sporting Club.
- Dareton Dareton on the Murray River features farms, orchards, fishing and the Coomealla Club for sport enthusiast...
- Mildura Mildura offers a full holiday experience with educational tours, fine dining, sports and leisure activiti...
- Pooncarie From quiet Pooncarie, take a houseboat holiday, explore Mungo National Park, or take in Pooncarie Field D...
- Wentworth At the Darling-Murray confluence, significant site for fossilised megafauna in Mungo National...