Chichester Dam - Dungog
Chichester Dam was constructed between 1917 and 1926 and is a minor concrete gravity dam, upstream of Dungog, in the Hunter Region.
One of the Hunter's most important freshwater storage facilities contributing about 35 per cent of the Lower Hunter's potable water supply. The dam wall is 254 metres long and 43 metres high and is anchored to the bedrock below the wall by 93 stressed tendons.
Located at the top of the Williams River catchment the dam replaced the Walka Water Works at Maitland, which was unable to meet the water demands of a growing industrial region. The catchment for Chichester Dam is largely within the Barrington Tops National Park, and as a result it is one of the most pristine catchments in Australia.
No dogs are allowed so leave the pooch at home. All the roads within the site are sealed and can be accessed by coaches.