Cathedral Church of St Saviour - Goulburn
The splendid belltower, soaring windows and massive stone work are the first impressions one has of St Saviour's. The Cathedral dominates Bourke Street and interrupts the through flow of Montague Street.
Royal Letters Patent issued by Queen Victoria on 14 March 1863 established the Diocese of Goulburn giving Goulburn city status and making it Australia's first inland city.
Built around the old St Saviour's Church from 1874 to 1884, St Saviour's Cathedral is one of the finest white sandstone cathedrals in the Southern Hemisphere. Both the Cathedral and Hall were designed by one of Australia's most famous architects, Edmund T. Blackett. The tower was built and bells installed as per the original design in 1988 as a bicentennial project. In 2006 the final three bells were installed, giving Goulburn the only 12 bell country peal in the Southern Hemisphere.