Trunkey Creek is a lovely old gold mining village. The hills around Trunkey
Creek is honeycombed with abandoned mine shafts and mullock heaps and
together with the crumbling mud huts and brick chimneys are the only remains
of the goldrush age. Gold can still be obtained from the quartz rocks that
were left lying around the old mullock heaps.
The district was one of the earliest pastoral areas to be established.
Some of the early selections were surveyed in the 1820's. The present day
pastoralists in the area, produce some of Australia's top quality Merino wool.
Today Trunkey Creek is a quiet rustic rural village. The Hotel and Billabong
teahouse provide a service for visitors.
Another unusual and special attraction is provided by pioneer craft
demonstrations given by experienced bushmen. Wood skills, earth, mud and
stone wall building, blacksmith's and gold panning are some of the skills
Wool festival, sheep show and horse show - Saturday, October long weekends
(annual) are highlights of the Trunkey Creek year.