At the end of Wolgan Valley lies a reminder of the shale oil industry. The township and shale oil mining complex was established in 1906. The Newnes Oil Shale Mine produced low grade oil. Set within beautiful mountain scenery, a collection of shanties, huts and buildings for the mining process were built. Today the ruins of the site are all that remains.
Operational costs and the availability of lower priced crude oil finally closed the works in 1932. The former hotel (now Newnes Kiosk) is the only reminder of a thriving community.
A brief stop at the top of the Wolgan Gap affords excellent views of Wolgan Valley and the spectacular sandstone escarpments.
To reach the ruins of the works, cross the river at the fjord by foot, or 4WD downstream from the hotel, and follow the well-defined path which was the original route of the railway line.